What it's been like being a woman in tech






It’s a wonderful time to be alive. There is so much focus on Female/LGQTB/Minority empowerment and diversity. It's great knowing that there are so many strong and powerful people out there blazing the trail of the path less traveled. What amazing role models we have like Grace Hopper,  Isis Anchalee,  Susan Fowler, LGBTQ Leaders, as well as many unsung heroes who have braved the trenches everyday. People who have walked the truly hard path and endured bullying, harassment and self doubt in order to make tech a better place for the rest of us. I have not experienced such extreme experiences but it is my hope that the more people who share their stories it will help to truly create an inclusive environment at work.


As a woman in tech I have had a long journey and it has not been an easy path. I feel incredibly blessed that I found some teams where I was accepted as an equal teammate rather than just the “girl developer” on the team.  However, even with some of the amazing companies and teams I have been on, there are always people out there who have not viewed me as an equal only because I am a woman.


It’s damn hard being a woman in tech! There is gender bias, minority hires, unequal pay, and a huge lack of support.  It is an uphill battle and it feels as if you have to earn the right to be there even though you already passed the interview and got the job.  It’s like walking into the gladiator arena while the crowd is waiting for your demise.  OK, I admit that is a bit melodramatic, but there are companies where it has felt like that. There are times when you get double the amount of code comments then the men, get shut down in meetings, talked over, overlooked and even subtly (or blatant) sexually harassed. 


I spent so many years thinking that it was just me. That I wasn’t good enough to be in tech. That it was my lack of a college degree that branded me as less than the rest of the team. I assumed that I was not as smart as everyone else, or my code was written poorly and that is why I was treated that way. The more women that I talk to I realize that I am not alone in this experience. Degree, Bootcamp, or self taught, so many other women and minorities have had the same experiences.  Gender/Minority bias is real!


So what did I do about it? I found other women within all of my companies and online communities where I could get some support. I started private slack groups for women (and those that are supportive of women) at several of my companies where we could talk and support each other in a safe place. I worked hard to be the kind of person that I would want to work with. I welcomed all new people on my teams and shared as much knowledge as I could to help them be successful, letting them know they could come to me with anything. I shared my knowledge and training with my team to help bring everyone up. I talked with my manager when I saw signs of inequality or behavior that should not be tolerated. I used my personal adversities to stoke the fire inside of me to stay strong for all of the women/minorities who come after me so hopefully I can make a little difference for them.
 

Here are some tips that I would give to anyone who is facing Gender/Race/Minority bias or any kind of inequality at work. 

  • Go to Women/Minority supported meetups where you can feel valued and see that you are not alone in this fight.

  • Find or make slack channels in your company where you can create your tribe of people. Invite all genders and races who will be supportive of your community. Don’t let age, looks, or background intimidate you - EVERYONE NEEDS A COMMUNITY. 

  • Talk to your HR department and find out what resources you have available to you. If there are none then work with them to create some. There are so many companies that will support outreach programs for the people of your company. 

  •  If you think you are a diversity hire, who cares, use the blessing you got to make a difference. It doesn’t matter how you got there You have the right to be there.   

  • Develop relationships with the kind people you work with. Remember you are all people in tech - not male and female in tech.

  • Try and be aware if you see signs of others struggling and reach out to them.

  • Be the kind of person that you want to work with - strong, kind and most of all on the side of other women/minorities out there. 



More and more companies are hiring for culture - which is wonderful. I am so grateful that there are companies out there who foster a healthy work environment like the one I am in. So if you are stuck in an unhealthy environment don’t give up hope!  There are companies out there who will treat you well.  Don't give up until you find one, or better yet start one.